Thursday, July 31

Good ol' Europe, Good ol' Home...

Summer break... second half I spend home... home in my flat, home in Romania and home in Europe... pretty big, I know... it's my second time I come home after I started college and, like in winter, turns out home makes me realize and learn a lot of things... In its openness, college is a pretty closed world, at least from my point of view. The same people, the same environment, the same securities and insecurities... every day is different, but the same in its pattern... and the people change so slowly that you don't really see it... So college becomes the standard or normality - or so it did for me.

Now I came home in winter and came to realize that my mom's situation was not exactly as I was thinking it to be... I thought I hadn't changed at all and so did my friends - turns out I did, a bit... turns out, I need to change a bit more too... and learn how to be a good friend and then how to be a better girlfriend too, and then how to not hurt myself uselessly... So I did that, in winter-break and during spring semester... I learned and changed continuously...

So now I come home again... and summer break now feels much better than winter break did. I realize now how much I changed and that change is not a bad thing, even though my friends sometimes exclaim: 'How much you changed!' I feel better and have more peace of mind. And I feel stronger too. But apart from this, there are new things I learned again by being home.
I realized that it would be damn hard for me to integrate in the Romanian society again and live here. I can't anymore stand the rudeness and ignorance of the people here. I deserve respect, and good services for which I pay, and don't want to tolerate not getting them. I can't really bear the dirt on the streets, the disorganized queues or the people shouting at each other without even knowing for what. And above everything, why do most of the people do nothing but complain while still living in and supporting this fallacious system...

When I went back in winter I was happy when I went on the Danube promenade... it didn't happen anymore... it's dirty and it smells bad and there are too many 'cool' guys who have nothing better to do than to smoke and throw the cigarettes on the ground and eat sunflower seeds and throw them all over...

I realized all these when I was home, but it all appeared even clearer to me after I went to and returned from Italy. During this same time, however, I also realized I might not necessarily like living in the States either, unless I find a place I really like. So I decided to start roaming arnd the States more... (Boston in fall break?! :D)

to be continued... :P

2 comments:

Claudiu said...

You will enjoy Romania after 2 or 3 years of staying there in USA. And please, tell people that Romania is not such a bad country...we also have nice people, and nice places where to go. I hope you will do that.

Ioana said...

Lol, yeah, you're one of the nice ppl :) but they are too few unfortunately. As of now, I'm disappointed ;) and I am really sorry...